This European Standard, together with part 1, deals with all significant hazards for mobile drill rigs for in soil or soil and rock mixture in civil and geotechnical engineering, "deleted text" when they are used as intended and under the conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer associated with the whole life time of the machine (see Clause 4).
The requirements of this part are complementary to the common requirements formulated in EN 16228-1:2014+A1:2021.
This document does not repeat the requirements from EN 16228-1:2014+A1:2021, but adds or replaces the requirements for application for mobile drill rigs.
In this document the general term "mobile drill rig" covers several different types of machines for use in:
- civil engineering;
- geotechnical engineering (including ground investigation, anchoring, soil nailing, mini-piling, ground stabilization, grouting);
- water well drilling;
- geothermal installations;
- landfill drilling;
- underpinning and tunnelling;
- for use above ground as well as underground.
Typically, the process of drilling involves the addition of drill rods, tubes, casings or augers etc., normally threaded, as the borehole extends to depth.
NOTE 1 EN 16228-4:2014+A1:2021 covers machines with a rotary torque greater than 35 kNm.
NOTE 2 The term "drill rigs" includes rigs with a separate power pack supplied by the rig manufacturer.
The following machines are excluded from the scope of this document:
- tunnelling machines, unshielded tunnel boring machines and rodless shaft boring machines for rock according to prEN 16191;
- raise boring machines;
- drill rigs used in oil and gas industry;
- specialized mining machinery and equipment for opencast mining (e.g. rock drill rigs, blast hole drills) (under the scope of CEN/TC 196);
- all underground mining machinery and equipment for the extraction of solid mineral substances (e. g. rock drill rigs, raise boring machines, shaft boring machines, mining auger boring machines, jumbos) as well as machinery and equipment for underground mine development (under the scope of CEN/TC 196);
- core drilling machines on stand covered by EN 12348;
- hand-held machines (in particular machines covered by ISO 11148-5).
This document is not applicable to mobile drill rigs for in soil or soil and rock mixture in civil and geotechnical engineering manufactured before the date of its publication.