This clause of Part 1 is replaced by the following.
This European Standard deals with the safety of electric air-cleaning appliances, their maximum rated voltages being not more than 250 V for single phase and 480 V for others.
Appliances and machines intended to be used in household, commercial applications, in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard.
Additional requirements for appliances and machines intended for commercial use are given in Annex ZE.
NOTE Z101 Examples of appliance for household environment are appliances for typical housekeeping functions used in the household environment and appliances for typical housekeeping functions used by non expert users:
• in shops, offices and other similar working environments;
• in farm houses;
• by clients in hotels, motels and other residential type environments;
• in bed and breakfast type environments.
NOTE Z102 Household environment includes the dwelling and its associated buildings, the garden, etc.
NOTE Z103 Appliances built into building ventilation system are also within the scope of this standard.
This document deals with the reasonably foreseeable hazards presented by appliances and machines that are encountered by all persons. However, in general, it does not take into account:
— children playing with the appliance;
— the use of the appliance by young children and very young children;
— the use of the appliance by older children without supervision.
It is recognized that very vulnerable people may have needs beyond the level addressed in this document.
NOTE 101 Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements may be necessary;
– in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
NOTE 102 This standard does not apply to
– appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
– air-cleaning systems incorporated in the building structure.