IEC 61918:2013 specifies basic requirements for the installation of media for communication networks in industrial premises and within and between the automation islands, of industrial sites. This standard covers balanced and optical fibre cabling. It also covers the cabling infrastructure for wireless media, but not the wireless media itself. Additional media are covered in the IEC 61784-5 series. This third edition cancels and replaces the second edition published in 2010 and constitutes a technical revision. It includes the following changes:
- some terms and abbreviated terms have been added to Clause 3;
- Subclauses 188.8.131.52.1 and 184.108.40.206 have been updated;
- Subclause 8.1 has been updated;
- Figure 13, Figure 29, Figure H.1, Table 3, Table 6, Table 7 and Table B.5 have been updated;
- Annex D and Annex M have been extended to cover additional communication profile families;
- A new informative Annex O has been added.