This document specifies the safety rules related to passenger and goods/passenger lifts installed in existing buildings where limitations enforced by certain building constraints mean that some requirements of EN 81-20:2020 cannot be met.
It addresses the following constraints and gives requirements for alternative solutions:
- existing perforate walls of the lift well;
- reduction in available well are leading to reduced distance between car, counterweight or balancing weight;
- counterweight or balancing weight in a separate existing well;
- reduced building dimensions and clearances leading to:
- reductions in available space for headroom and pit;
- reduced car roof balustrade dimensions;
- reduced height of sill apron;
- reduced height of machine and/or pulley room;
- reduced available area for access door/trap door;
- reduction in available height of landing doors.
This document is not applicable to lifts installed before the date of its publication.