This document covers the principal considerations which apply to data exchange for additive manufacturing. It specifies terms and definitions which enable information to be exchanged describing geometries or parts such that they can be additively manufactured. The data exchange method outlines file type, data enclosed formatting of such data and what this can be used for.
- enables a suitable format for data exchange to be specified,
- describes the existing developments for additive manufacturing of 3D geometries,
- outlines existing file formats used as part of the existing developments, and
- enables understanding of necessary features for data exchange, for adopters of this document.
This document is aimed at users and producers of additive manufacturing processes and associated software systems. It applies wherever additive processes are used, and to the following fields in particular:
- producers of additive manufacturing systems and equipment including software;
- software engineers involved in CAD/CAE systems;
- reverse engineering systems developers;
- test bodies wishing to compare requested and actual geometries.