IEC 60335-2-25:2010+A1:2014+A2:2015 deals with the safety of microwave ovens for household and similar use, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V. This standard also deals with combination microwave ovens, for which Annex AA is applicable. This standard also deals with microwave ovens intended to be used on board ships, for which Annex BB is applicable. Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless may be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard. However, if the appliance is intended to be used professionally to process food for commercial purposes, the appliance is not considered to be for household and similar use only. The principal changes with respect to the previous edition are as follows:
- the scope is modified to, cover microwave ovens on board ships, to
better define separation between "household and similar use" and "commercial use" and indicate it does not to take into account
persons whose capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction and children playing with the appliance;
- the intended use is defined for clarification;
- the door endurance test is rationalised;
- the replacement of 22.103, 22.104 and 22.105 allows interlock systems with at least one concealed door interlock as well as alternative interlock systems without concealed door interlock;
- the tests on electronic door interlock systems are defined for clarification;
- the pollution degree of combination microwave ovens is defined for
- the thickness requirement for sheaths of visibly glowing heating elements of combination microwave ovens is defined for clarification. It is the recommendation that the content of this publication be adopted for implementation nationally not earlier than 12 months or later than 36 months from the date of publication.
This consolidated version consists of the sixth edition (2010), its amendment 1 (2014) and its amendment 2 (2015). Therefore, no need to order amendments in addition to this publication.
This publication is to be read in conjunction with IEC 60335-1:2013.