IEC 60335-2-49:2021 deals with the safety of electrically operated commercial appliances for keeping food and crockery warm, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances connected between one phase and neutral, and 480 V for other appliances.
Examples of appliances that are within the scope of this standard are:
– hot cupboards, with or without heated tops;
– heated tops;
– heated display cases;
– heated crockery dispensers;
– heated tables;
– radiant heaters.
These appliances are not intended for household and similar purposes. They are used for commercial purposes, processing of food, also in areas open to the public, for example in kitchens of restaurants, canteens, hospitals and in commercial enterprises, such as bakeries and butcheries.
The electrical part of appliances making use of other forms of energy is also within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by these types of appliances.
Attention is drawn to the fact that:
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified for pressure appliances.
This standard does not apply to:
– appliances designed exclusively for industrial purposes;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
– appliances for continuous mass production of food;
– commercial electric bains-marie (IEC 60335-2-50);
– battery-operated appliances;
– warming plates and similar appliances for household use covered by IEC 60335-2-12 used in the following environments by laymen: staff kitchen areas in shops, offices and other working environments, farm houses, hotels, motels and other residential type environments, bed and breakfast type environments.
This fifth edition cancels and replaces the fourth edition published in 2002, Amendment 1:2008 and Amendment 2:2017. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) the text has been aligned with IEC 60335-1:2020;
b) introduction of requirements for appliances intended for use in areas open to the public, including external accessible surface temperatures (Clause 1, 7.12, 11.8, Table 102);
c) exclusion of battery-operated appliances (Clause 1);
d) clarification of applicable standard for appliances for use by laymen (Clause 1, 7.12);
e) relocation of cleaning instructions from 7.12.1 to 7.12;
f) relocation of 24.101 to 22.106;
g) conciliation of the text of IEC 60335-2-49 with other standards under IEC/TC61/MT32;
h) some notes have been converted to normative text, modified or deleted (Clause 1, 7.1, 7.15, 11.3, 11.7, 15.2, 19.2, 22.101, 23.3);
i) additional requirements for measurement of input current;
j) clarification of the testing procedure in 15.1.1;
k) clarification of the test conditions in 20.1 and 23.3;
l) clarifications of the requirements in 25.3.
This Part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.