1.1 Scope of EN 12309 series
Appliances covered by EN 12309 include one or a combination of the following:
- gas fired sorption chiller;
- gas fired sorption chiller/heater;
- gas fired sorption heat pump.
EN 12309 applies to appliances only when used for space heating and cooling with or without heat recovery.
EN 12309 applies to appliances having flue gas systems of type B and C (according to EN 1749:2020) and to appliances designed for outdoor installations, including type A. EN 12309 does not apply to air conditioners, it only applies to appliances having:
- integral burners under the control of fully automatic burner control systems;
- closed system refrigerant circuits in which the refrigerant does not come into direct contact with the water or air to be cooled or heated;
- mechanical means to assist transportation of the combustion air and/or the flue gas.
The above appliances can have one or more primary or secondary functions (i.e. heat recovery - see definitions in EN 12309-1:2023). In the case of packaged units (consisting of several parts), the standard applies only to those designed and supplied as a complete package.
The appliances having their condenser cooled by air and by the evaporation of external additional water are not covered by this European Standard.
Installations used for heating and/or cooling of industrial processes are not within the scope of these standards.
NOTE All the symbols given in this text are used regardless of the language used.
1.2 Scope of EN 12309-2
This document deals with the safety of gas-driven sorption heat pumps as defined in EN 12309 1:2023. Only types B12, B13, B22, B23, C12, C13, C32 and C33 and outdoor installations, including type A appliances, are covered in this document. This document does not include specific requirements on surface temperatures of external parts particular to children and elderly people.