This document applies to mobile cranes as defined in 3.16, with following characteristics:
- mobile cranes can operate on tyres, crawlers or with other mobile arrangements. In fixed positions, they can be supported by outriggers or other accessories increasing their stability;
- the superstructure of mobile cranes can be of the type of full circle slewing, of limited slewing or non-slewing. It is normally equipped with one or more hoists and/or hydraulic cylinders for lifting and lowering the boom and the load;
- mobile cranes can be equipped either with telescopic booms, with articulated booms, with lattice booms - or a combination of these - of such a design that they can readily be lowered;
- loads can be handled by hook block assemblies or other load-lifting attachments for special services.
This document is applicable to the design, build, installation of safety devices, information for use, maintenance and testing of mobile cranes.
This document is not applicable for the additional hazards related to the mounting a mobile crane on other chassis (e.g. railcars, portals, pontoons). Examples of mobile crane types and their major components are given in Annex A, B.1 and B.2.
This document is not applicable to:
- loader cranes (see EN 12999);
- off-shore cranes (see EN 13852-1);
- floating cranes (see EN 13852-2);
- slewing jib crane (see EN 14985);
- variable reach truck (see EN 1459);
NOTE 1 Variable Reach Trucks are commonly known as telehandlers.
- to cranes, installed on an agricultural tractor, intended to tow a trailer which has capability to carry goods;
- mobile self-erecting tower cranes (see EN 14439);
- earth-moving machinery used for object handling (see EN 474-series).
This document does not cover hazards related to the lifting of persons.
NOTE 2 The use of mobile cranes for the lifting of persons is subject to specific national regulations.
This document does not cover hazards related to the combination of a mobile crane with other machinery.
This document does not cover hazards related to the use of the mobile crane in potential explosive atmosphere.
For duty cycle work such as grab, magnet, piling or similar work, additional provisions are required which are outside the scope of this document.
The hazards covered by this document are identified by Annex C.
This document is not applicable to mobile cranes which are manufactured before the date of publication of this document by CEN.