This document applies for plant (containing machinery and equipment) used in the process of continuous casting of liquid steel (hereafter referred to as continuous casting machine, CCM) as defined in 3.1.
This document deals with all significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to machinery and equipment for the continuous casting of steel, when they are used as intended and under conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer (see Clause 4).
This document specifies the safety requirements to be met during design, assembly, transport, commissioning, operation, maintenance (as described in Clause 5) and decommissioning of the equipment.
This document assumes that the machinery and equipment of the plant is operated and maintained by adequately trained and competent personnel (see 7.5). Manual intervention for setting, adjustment and maintenance is accepted as part of the intended use of the plant.
This document assumes that the machinery is used with adequate workstation lighting conforming to EN 12464-1.
National regulations regarding lighting should be considered and could differ from requirements of EN 12464-1.
This document applies to:
- CCM for the transformation of molten liquid steel into solid products in sections (e.g. square, rectangular, beam blank, circular);
- CCM's from the point where overhead cranes or other transport systems deposit ladles to CCM (e.g. in a ladle turret, ladle car or ladle stand);
- via casting process and solidification process;
- via cutting and marking equipment;
- thru the run-out-area where the cut product is finished, collected and removed from that area.
This document does not cover safety requirements for:
- horizontal-CCM for steel;
- auxiliary plants (auxiliary plants that are outside of the limits of the CCM);
- ladles and ladle transport;
- winches and hoists;
- conveyors or handling systems;
- workshop equipment (mould and segment shop, tundish workshop);
- gas burners, e.g. as a part of pre-heating stations.
This document can be used in case of modernization for the parts to be modernized.
This document is not applicable to CCM's manufactured before the date of its publication.