This part of IEC 60871 is applicable to both capacitor units and capacitor banks intended to be used, particularly, for power-factor correction of a.c. power systems having a rated voltage above 1 000 V and frequencies of 15 Hz to 60 Hz.
This part of IEC 60871 also applies to capacitors intended for use in power filter circuits.
Additional definitions, requirements and tests for filter capacitors are given in Annex B.
Additional requirements for capacitors protected by internal fuses as well as requirements for the internal fuses are given in IEC 60871-4.
Requirements for capacitors to be protected by external fuses, as well as requirements for the same, are given in Annex C.
This standard does not apply to capacitors of the self-healing metallized dielectric type.
The following capacitors are excluded from this part of IEC 60871:
– capacitors for inductive heat-generating plants operating at frequencies between 40 Hz and 24 000 Hz (IEC 60110-1);
– series capacitors for power systems (see the IEC 60143 series);
– capacitors for motor applications and the like (see the IEC 60252 series);
– coupling capacitors and capacitor dividers (IEC 60358);
– shunt capacitors for a.c. power systems having rated voltage up to and including 1 000 V (see the IEC 60831 and IEC 60931 series);
– small a.c. capacitors to be used for fluorescent and discharge lamps (IEC 61048 and IEC 61049);
– capacitors to be used in power electronic circuits (IEC 61071);
– capacitors for microwave ovens (IEC 61270-1);
– capacitors for suppression of radio interference;
– capacitors intended for use with a.c. voltage superimposed on d.c. voltage.
Accessories such as insulators, switches, instrument transformers, external fuses, etc. are in accordance with the relevant IEC standards.
The object of this part of IEC 60871 is as follows:
a) to formulate uniform rules regarding the performance and rating of units and banks, and the testing of units;
b) to formulate specific safety rules;
c) to provide a guide for installation and operation.