IEC 60947-5-2:2019 applies to inductive and capacitive proximity switches that sense the presence of metallic and/or non-metallic objects, ultrasonic proximity switches that sense the presence of sound reflecting objects, photoelectric proximity switches that sense the presence of objects and non-mechanical magnetic proximity switches that sense the presence of objects with a magnetic field.
This fourth edition cancels and replaces the third edition published in 2007 and Amendment 1:2012. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- update of the scope;
- adaptation and update of the construction requirements according to IEC Guide 116 (e.g. material requirements, artificial optical radiation, instruction requirements, hot surface, unattended operation, foreseeable misuse…);
- modification of the specifications concerning the sensing range and operating distance;
- new definitions for photoelectric proximity switch type D with background suppression;
- integration of the requirements and test procedures of photoelectric proximity switch type D with background suppression;
- update of EMC requirements in Table 9 and Table 10;
- integration of environmental information requirements and environmental condition by referencing Annexes O, W and Q of IEC 60947-1:2007, IEC 60947-1:2007/AMD1:2010 and IEC 60947-1:2007/AMD2:2014;
- modification of impulse withstand voltage test (126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52.5);
- modification of the references in the (normative) standard body to the (informative) Annex A;
- major update of Annex A (definitions update, new dimensions and shapes);
- update of C.9.1.1;
- update of Annex D in order to consider new connector types and normative references;
- update of Annex F (additional symbols for photoelectric proximity switches).