IEC 60335-2-118:2020 deals with the safety of appliances for making ice cream and artisan gelato.
Appliances taken into account are those intended for commercial use and similar appliances not intended for normal household use but which may nevertheless be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, stores, by artisans or on farms, which rated voltage is not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances.
Appliances covered by this standard are provided with a refrigerant condensing unit which is usually incorporated, but for some appliances may be remote.
This standard also applies to following types of appliances:
- mixers to make ice cream and similar pastry products in which, for the preparation of the product, an heating process is made within the appliance before the cooling process;
- appliances for storing whipping cream mix in a refrigerated tank and for whipping the cream for the delivery process.
Attention is drawn to the fact that:
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to:
– appliances with a refrigerating system operating with flammable refrigerant;
– ice cream appliances for household use (IEC 60335-2-24);
– appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments. It was established on the basis of the fifth edition (2010) of that standard.