IEC 60335-2-122:2023 deals with the safety of electrically operated commercial washing machines, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single phase and 480 V for other appliances.
These appliances are not intended for household and similar purpose. They are used:
- by experts or instructed persons for commercial washing in areas not open to the public, for example on farms and in hotels, hospitals, restaurants and canteens; or
- by laymen in areas open to the public, for example launderettes and communal laundry rooms.
The electrical part of appliances making use of other forms of energy is also within the scope of this standard.
These appliances are designed to be connected to hot or cold water supply.
Appliances making use of steam or hot water for heating purposes are also within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by these types of appliances. However, in general, it does not consider young children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that:
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified for appliances incorporating pressurized parts;
- for appliances having additional functions (e.g. drying function), other standards are also applicable.
This standard does not apply to:
- appliances designed exclusively for industrial purposes (ISO 10472-2);
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
- washing machines appliances for household and similar use (IEC 60335-2-7).
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.