IEC 60335-2-13:2021 deals with the safety of electric deep fat fryers having a recommended maximum quantity of oil not exceeding 5 l, frying pans, woks and other appliances in which oil is used for cooking, and intended for household use and similar use, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V.
Appliances intended for normal household and similar use and that may also be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms are within the scope of this standard. However, if the appliance is intended to be used professionally to process food for commercial consumption, the appliance is not considered to be for household and similar use only.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to
– deep fat fryers for commercial use (IEC 60335-2-37);
– commercial multi-purpose cooking pans (IEC 60335-2-39);
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
– battery-operated appliances.
This seventh edition cancels and replaces the sixth edition published in 2009 and Amendment 1:2016. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) the text has been aligned with IEC 60335-1:2020;
b) some notes have been converted to normative text (Clause 1, 5.2, 5.101, 7.12, 15.101, 22.35, 24.1.5);
c) exclusion of battery-operated appliances (Clause 1);
d) an additional test has been introduced to limit the temperature rise of external accessible surfaces including marking of hot surfaces (Clause 7, Clause 11).
This Part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.