IEC 60335-2-17:2022 deals with the safety of electric blankets, pads, clothing and other flexible appliances that heat the bed or human body, for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V including direct current (DC) supplied appliances and battery-operated appliances.
This standard also applies to control units supplied with the appliance.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless possibly pose be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used in beauty parlours or by persons in cold ambient temperatures, are within the scope of this standard.
Requirements and tests for clothing are given in normative Annex CC.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Children are considered to be old enough to use an appliance without supervision when they have been adequately instructed by a parent or guardian and are deemed competent to use the appliance safely.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
– rigid bed warmers, such as those of metal or ceramic material;
– water bed heaters (IEC 60335-2-66);
– heating appliances for breeding and rearing animals (IEC 60335-2-71);
– foot warmers and heating mats (IEC 60335-2-81);
– appliances specifically intended for use under medical supervision (IEC 60601-2-35);
– heated carpets (IEC 60335-2-106).
This fourth edition cancels and replaces the third edition published in 2012, Amendment 1:2015 and Amendment 2:2019. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) alignment with IEC 60335-1:2020;
b) conversion of some notes to normative text (Clause 1, 19.106, 21.103, 21.104, 21.110, 30.1, 30.102, Annex BB, CC.19.3);
c) clarification of the definition of control unit (3.6.105);
d) revision for adjusting the supply voltage of appliances, other than controlled appliances, when operation at rated power input times a factor is specified (5.12);
e) clarification of testing of blankets that cannot be folded with five thicknesses (19.101);
f) updated compliance criteria to include breakage of electrodes (21.1);
g) clarification of the test method for mattresses based on the rigidity index of the flexible part (21.111.1, Annex DD);
h) clarification for testing heating elements with a non-circular construction (21.111.3);
i) addition of requirements to protect the user from overheating in the event of an interruption in the mains supply (22.110)
j) inclusion of pressure test method from IEC 60320-1:2001 (30.1);
k) update of test methods for resistance to fire tests (30.101.1, 30.102).
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.