IEC 60335-2-4:2023 is available as IEC 60335-2-4:2023 RLV which contains the International Standard and its Redline version, showing all changes of the technical content compared to the previous edition.IEC 60335-2-4:2023 deals with the safety of:
- stand-alone electric spin extractors, and
- spin extractors incorporated in washing machines that have separate containers for washing and spin extraction
for household and similar purposes that have a capacity not exceeding 10 kg of dry cloth and a drum peripheral speed not exceeding 50 m/s, their rated voltages being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances including direct current (DC) supplied appliances and battery-operated appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use but which nevertheless can be a source of danger to the public, such as spin extractors intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms and spin extractors for communal use in blocks of flats or in launderettes, are within the scope of this standard.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the reasonably foreseeable hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons. However, in general, it does not take into account:
- persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that:
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
- in many countries, additional requirements are specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to:
- appliances intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas).
This eighth edition cancels and replaces the seventh edition published in 2021. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) alignment with IEC 60335-1:2020;
b) conversion of some notes to normative text (20.103, 20.104, 22.101);
c) addition of test probe 19 for accessibility of live parts and moving parts (8.1.1, 20.2);
d) addition of accessible surface temperature limits (11.3, 11.8);
e) specified operating conditions for battery operated appliances (B.11.1).
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.