IEC 60335-2-8:2022 CMV contains both the official standard and its commented version. The commented version provides you with a quick and easy way to compare all the changes between IEC 60335-2-8:2022 edition 7.0 and the previous IEC 60335-2-8:2012+AMD1:2015+AMD2:2018 CSV edition 6.2. Futhermore, comments from IEC TC 61 experts are provided to explain the reasons of the most relevant changes.
IEC 60335-2-8:2022 deals with the safety of electric shavers, hair clippers, epilators, appliances used for manicure and pedicure and similar appliances intended for household and similar purposes, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V, including direct current (DC) supplied appliances and battery-operated appliances.
Appliances not intended for normal household use, but which nevertheless possibly pose a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops and on farms, are within the scope of this standard. Examples of such appliances are animal shearers.
As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by appliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in general, it does not take into account
– persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
– children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
– for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
– in many countries additional requirements are specified by national health authorities, national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar authorities.
This standard does not apply to
– appliances intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour or gas);
– massage appliances (IEC 60335-2-32);
– beauty care appliances incorporating lasers and intense light sources (IEC 60335-2-113);
– skin beauty care appliances (IEC 60335-2-115);
– appliances for medical purposes (IEC 60601).
This seventh edition cancels and replaces the sixth edition published in 2012, Amendment 1:2015 and Amendment 2:2018. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
a) alignment with IEC 60335-1:2020;
b) conversion of some notes to normative text (Clause 1, 3.1.9, 19.10, 20.1, 22.103);
c) clarification of holding the appliance with negligible effect on normal operation (3.1.9);
d) addition of requirements for detachable power supply parts (6.2, 21.102, 21.103, 24.2);
e) allowance to waive instructions relating to hot blades on animal shearers and commercial animal clippers based on temperatures measured in Clause 11 (7.12);
f) clarification and consolidation of requirements in 22.26 and 22.36;
g) clarification of applicability of 30.2.2 and 30.2.3;
h) clarification of requirements for interconnection cords for class III constructions.
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.