IEC 60352-5:2020 is applicable to solderless press-in connections for use in electrical and electronic equipment and components.
The press-in connection consists of a termination having a suitable press-in zone which is inserted into a hole of a board.
Information on materials and data from industrial experience is included in addition to the test procedures to provide electrically stable connections under specified environmental conditions.
The object of this document is to determine the suitability of press-in connections under mechanical, electrical and atmospheric conditions as specified by the manufacturer of the press-in termination and to provide a means of comparing test results when the tools used to make the connections are of different designs or manufacture.
This fifth edition cancels and replaces the fourth edition published in 2012. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant changes with respect to the previous edition:
- revising the scope by removing the wording "… telecommunication equipment and in electronic devices employing similar techniques" and replacing it by "… electrical and electronic equipment and components" in the first paragraph;
- adding terms and definitions for 'board', 'hole' and 'metal board' to recognize that press-in terminations are being used in many non-printed board materials;
- editorial changes to clarify the difference between the two test schedules for qualification and application;
- modification of upper limit of copper thickness of the plated-through-hole to reflect actual market trends and manufacturing practices;
- removal of bending test, as this test is very specific for applications of press-in technology no longer common;
- adding graphs to document the press-in and push-out force, since this is common testing practice and provides further insight into mechanical performance of the contact zone;
- reducing the number of test specimens required, since in previous testing scheme a lot of test samples were discarded;
- new wording in 4.5 for cracked and bent terminations;
- added Figure 7b to show V and A connection locations when the press-in termination does not protrude through the bottom side of the board.