This document defines the minimum design, installation, commissioning, operation, inspection and maintenance requirements, for the safety, and, where appropriate, for the performance of public and non-public fuelling stations that dispense gaseous hydrogen to light duty road vehicles (e.g. fuel cell electric vehicles).
This document is not applicable to the dispensing of cryogenic hydrogen, or hydrogen to metal hydride applications.
Since this document is intended to provide minimum requirements for fuelling stations, manufacturers can take additional safety precautions as determined by a risk management methodology to address potential safety risks of specific designs and applications.
While this document is targeted for the fuelling of light duty hydrogen road vehicles, requirements and guidance for fuelling medium and heavy duty road vehicles (e.g. buses, trucks) are also covered.
Many of the generic requirements within this document are applicable to fuelling stations for other hydrogen applications, including but not limited to the following:
- fuelling stations for motorcycles, fork-lift trucks, trams, trains, fluvial and marine applications;
- fuelling stations with indoor dispensing;
- residential applications to fuel land vehicles;
- mobile fuelling stations; and
- non-public demonstration fuelling stations.
However, further specific requirements that can be necessary for the safe operation of such fuelling stations are not addressed in this document.
This document provides requirements for and guidance on the following elements of a fuelling station (see Figure 1 and Figure 2):
- hydrogen production/delivery system:
- delivery of hydrogen by pipeline, trucked in gaseous and/or liquid hydrogen, or metal hydride storage trailers;
- on-site hydrogen generators using water electrolysis process or hydrogen generators using fuel processing technologies;
- liquid hydrogen storage;
- hydrogen purification systems, as applicable;
- gaseous hydrogen compression;
- pumps and vaporizers;
- gaseous hydrogen buffer storage;
- pre-cooling device;
- gaseous hydrogen dispensing systems.