This document specifies the essential safety requirements for the design and construction of injection moulding machines for the processing of plastics and/or rubber and provides information for their safe use.
This document is applicable only to injection moulding machines with hydraulic and/or electrical drives for platen movement.
This document deals with all significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to injection moulding machines, when they are used as intended and under conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer (see Annex A) during the life cycle of the machinery (see ISO 12100:2010, 5.4).
The following are not covered:
- machines on which the clamping unit can only be operated by the physical force of the operator;
- machines for which the hydraulic jack can only be manually operated;
- injection blow moulding machines;
- machines for reaction injection moulding;
- compression moulding machines and transfer moulding machines;
- direct-on sole moulding machines, unit sole and footwear component moulding machines, full shoe and boot moulding machines;
- design of an exhaust system;
- design and construction of the mould.
NOTE Moulds and exhaust systems are not part of the machinery.
This document is not applicable to injection moulding machines which are manufactured before the date of its publication.