1.1 This document specifies safety and hygiene requirements for the design, installation, operation and maintenance of lifting and tilting machines used in bakeries and pastry shops for lifting and/or tilting a container or a machine with non-removable bowl containing dough or pastry foodstuff and for tipping the contents.
The lifting and tilting machines can be stationary or movable and are designed for products (e.g. mixtures of flour, water and other ingredients) or raw material (e.g. flour, mixtures etc.).
This document deals with the significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to lifting and tilting machines, when they are used as intended and under conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer (see Annex B).
1.2 This document does not deal with the hazards due to the mixing or other function of the bowl (for dough mixers see EN 453:2014 and for planetary mixers see EN 454:2014).
This document does not deal with specific hazards associated to the properties of the foodstuff (except the mass).
The following machines are excluded:
- experimental and testing machines under development by the manufacturer;
- domestic appliances;
- motorized driven mobile equipment;
- lift trucks;
- automatic devices working in automatic production lines (where the initiation of the movement is not due to a human action).
In case of a movable machine, this document does not deal with:
- hazards due to transportation of bowls with the machine;
- hazards due to the displacement of the machine on its own wheels;
- powered equipment that may be provided to assist the mobility of mobile bowl lifting and tilting machine.
When drafting this document, it has been assumed that the machines are not intended to be cleaned with a water jet.
This document does not deal with any specific requirements on noise emitted from lifting and tilting machines as the generated noise does not cause a relevant hazard.
This document is not applicable to lifting and tilting machines for bakery which have been manufactured before the date of publication of this document by CEN.