This document applies to a front loaded refuse collection vehicle (RCV), as defined in 3.2.
This document deals with all significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to the front loaded RCV, when it is used as intended and under conditions of misuse which are reasonably foreseeable by the manufacturer, throughout its foreseeable lifetime, as defined in Clause 4.
This document is applicable to the design and construction of the front loaded RCV so as to ensure that it is fitted for its intended function and can be operated, cleaned (including unblocking), adjusted and maintained during its entire lifetime. It is not applicable to the end of life of the front loaded RCV.
This document describes and defines the safety requirements of the front loaded RCV excluding the interface with the lifting device(s) and excluding the lifting device itself and excluding loader cranes, which could be mounted on the RCV.
Safety requirements for the lifting device(s), loader cranes and their interface to the RCV are defined in EN 1501-5:2021.
Safety requirements for loader cranes are defined in EN 12999:2020. Additional specific requirements to loader cranes installed on RCVs are defined in EN 1501-5:2021.
This document also applies to compactors, operated on a truck for collecting purposes.
This document is not applicable to:
- operation in severe conditions, e.g. extreme environmental conditions such as:
- below -20 °C and above +40 °C temperatures;
- tropical environment;
- wind velocity in excess of 75 km/h;
- contaminating environment;
- corrosive environment;
- operation in potentially explosive atmospheres;
- handling of loads the nature of which could lead to dangerous situations (e.g. hot refuses, acids and bases, radioactive materials, contaminated refuse, especially fragile loads, explosives);
- operation on ships.
This document is not applicable to machinery which is manufactured before the date of publication of this document by CEN.