The Fieldbus Application Layer (FAL) provides user programs with a means to access the fieldbus communication environment. In this respect, the FAL can be viewed as a “window between corresponding application programs”.
This part of IEC 61158 provides common elements for basic time-critical and non-time-critical messaging communications between application programs in an automation environment and material specific to Type 10 fieldbus. The term “time-critical” is used to represent the presence of a time window, within which one or more specified actions are required to be completed with a defined level of certainty. Failure to complete specified actions within the time window risks failure of the applications requesting the actions, with attendant risk to equipment, plant and possibly human life.
This document defines in an abstract way the externally visible behavior provided by the Type 10 fieldbus application layer in terms of:
• the abstract syntax defining the application layer protocol data units conveyed between communicating application entities,
• the transfer syntax defining the application layer protocol data units conveyed between communicating application entities,
• the application context state machine defining the application service behavior visible between communicating application entities, and
• the application relationship state machines defining the communication behavior visible between communicating application entities.
The purpose of this document is to define the protocol provided to:
• define the wire-representation of the service primitives defined in IEC 61158-5-10 and
• define the externally visible behavior associated with their transfer.
This document specifies the protocol of the Type 10 fieldbus application layer, in conformance with the OSI Basic Reference Model (ISO/IEC 7498-1) and the OSI Application Layer Structure (ISO/IEC 9545).