This International Standard deals with the safety of powered automatic floor treatment machines intended for commercial use indoors for the following applications:
- wet or dry pick-up,
- application of wax, sealing products and powder-based detergents,
The requirements given by this standard are applied in addition to the requirements for commercial floor treatment machines in IEC 60335-2-72, as far as applicable, and mentioned in the relevant clauses.
Automatic floor treatment machines solely designed for wet or dry pick-up, additional or modified requirements of IEC 60335-2-69 where stated shall be applicable.
Machines covered by this Standard may operate in automatic or manual mode.
Modified requirements are given in specific sections of this standard for automatic floor treatment machines not equipped with a manual mode.
The automatic floor treatment machines covered by this standard are designed to avoid hazardous contact with persons in the environment applied. It is recognized that automatic floor treatment machines for commercial use might require operation within close proximity to large groups of people, such as in shopping malls and schools.
Throughout this standard, the term “machine” is used to refer to an automatic floor treatment machine
The following power systems are covered:
- rechargeable batteries that are recharged by built-in battery chargers or off-board battery chargers which may be incorporated within the circuitry of the machine, or mounted on the machine and incorporated within the enclosure of the automatic floor treatment machine; or powered by batteries that need to be removed to be recharged with a charger that is external to the machine,
- Other systems are under consideration.
This standard does not apply to
- battery chargers (IEC 60335-2-29);
- floor treatment appliances and wet scrubbing machines for household use (IEC 60335-2-82-10);
- floor treatment machines for commercial use (IEC 60335-2-67);
- spray extraction machines for commercial use (IEC 60335-2-68);
- road sweepers;
NOTE 101 In Europe, the EN 17106 series covers road sweepers.
- machines designed for use on slopes with a gradient exceeding 20%;
- machines equipped with 88 a power take-off (PTO);
- machines designed for use in corrosive or explosive environments (dust, vapour or gas);
- machines designed for use in vehicles or on board of ships or aircraft.
- vacuum cleaners and water-suction cleaning appliances and automatic battery-operated cleaners for household use (IEC 60335-2-2);
- vacuum cleaners designed for pickup of combustible dust;
- hand-held mains-operated electrical garden blowers, vacuums and blower vacuums (IEC 60335-2-100);
- Electric motor-operated hand-held tools, transportable tools and lawn and garden machinery (IEC 60745 series, IEC 61029 series, IEC 62841 series);
- appliances for medical purposes (IEC 60601-1);
- robots and robotic devices: Safety requirements of personal care robots (ISO 13482)
- machines with parts that extend beyond the contact zone of the machine
NOTE 102 Components of the machine that operate outside the contact zone can be evaluated differently.
- machines designed for picking up liquids with a flash point below 55 °C;
NOTE 103 The flash point temperature limit may vary in different countries. National regulations will need to be taken into account.
NOTE 104 Attention is drawn to the fact that in many countries additional requirements on the safe use of the equipment covered can be specified by the national health authorities, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour, the national water supply authorities and similar authorities.