IEC 60335-2-51:2023 CMV contains both the official standard and its commented version. The commented version provides you with a quick and easy way to compare all the changes between IEC 60335-2-51:2023 edition 5.0 and the previous IEC 60335-2-51:2019 edition 4.0. Furthermore, comments from IEC TC 61 experts are provided to explain the reasons of the most relevant changes, or to clarify any part of the content.
IEC 60335-2-51:2023 deals with the safety of electric stationary circulation pumps for house-hold and similar purposes intended for use in heating systems or in service water sys-tems, their rated voltage being not more than 250 V for single-phase appliances and 480 V for other appliances including direct current (DC) supplied appliances. The hydraulic and electrical parts of the pump can be in the same enclosure, so that the water flows through the motor and serves as a coolant, or they can be separated. Appliances not intended for normal household use, but that nevertheless can be a source of danger to the public, such as appliances intended to be used by laymen in shops, in light industry and on farms, are within the scope of this standard. As far as is practicable, this standard deals with the common hazards presented by ap-pliances that are encountered by all persons in and around the home. However, in gen-eral, it does not take into account:
- persons (including children) whose physical, sensory or mental capabilities; or lack of experience and knowledge prevents them from using the appliance safely without supervision or instruction;
- children playing with the appliance.
Attention is drawn to the fact that
- for appliances intended to be used in vehicles or on-board ships or aircraft, additional requirements can be necessary;
- in many countries additional requirements are specified by the national health authori-ties, the national authorities responsible for the protection of labour and similar au-thorities.
This standard does not apply to
- pumps for circulating liquids other than water;
- pumps, other than circulation pumps (IEC 60335-2-41);
- circulation pumps intended exclusively for industrial purposes;
- circulation pumps intended to be used in locations where special conditions prevail, such as the presence of a corrosive or explosive atmosphere (dust, vapour, or gas).
This fifth edition cancels and replaces the fourth edition published in 2019. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the pre-vious edition:
a) the text has been aligned with IEC 60335-1:2020;
b) some notes have been converted to normative text (Clause 1);
c) the use of separate connectors to ease the installation and establish the supply con-nection has been introduced (7.12.1, 22.102, 24.1.5, 24.1.101, 25.3);
d) clarifications related to remote operation (22.40, 22.49, 22.51).
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments unless that edition precludes it; in that case, the latest edition that does not preclude it is used. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.