IEC 60335-2-79:2021 deals with the safety of high-pressure cleaners without traction drive, intended for household and commercial indoor or outdoor use, having a rated pressure not less than 2,5 MPa and not exceeding 35 MPa. It also applies to steam cleaners and those parts of hot water high pressure cleaners incorporating a steam stage which have a capacity not exceeding 100 l, a rated pressure not exceeding 2,5 MPa and a product of capacity and rated pressure not exceeding 5 MPa·l. They are not equipped with a traction drive. The following power systems of the drive for the high pressure pump are covered:
- mains powered motors up to a rated voltage of 250 V for single-phase machines and 480 V for other machines,
- battery-operated motors,
- internal combustion engines,
- hydraulic or pneumatic motors.
This standard does not apply to:
- high pressure water jet machines having a rated pressure exceeding 35 MPa;
- liquid or steam cleaners intended for domestic use (IEC 60335-2-54);
- hand-held and transportable motor-operated electric tools (IEC 60745 series, IEC 61029 series, IEC 62841 series);
- appliances for medical purposes (IEC 60601);
- agricultural sprayers (ISO 4254-6);
- non-liquid, solid abrasive cleaners;
- machines designed to be part of a production process;
- machines designed for use in corrosive or explosive environments (dust, vapour or gas);
- machines designed for use in vehicles or on board of ships or aircraft.
This fifth edition cancels and replaces the fourth edition published in 2016. It constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition (minor changes are not listed):
- editorial and technical alignment with IEC 60335-1:2020;
- clarification on hand-held and battery-operated high pressure cleaners;
- general editorial improvements.
This part 2 is to be used in conjunction with the latest edition of IEC 60335-1 and its amendments. It was established on the basis of the sixth edition (2020) of that standard.