This document specifies requirements to be met by a management system for records (MSR) in order to support an organization in the achievement of its mandate, mission, strategy and goals. It addresses the development and implementation of a records policy and objectives and gives information on measuring and monitoring performance.
An MSR can be established by an organization or across organizations that share business activities. Throughout this document, the term "organization" is not limited to one organization but also includes other organizational structures.
This document is applicable to any organization that wishes to:
- establish, implement, maintain and improve an MSR to support its business;
- ensure itself of conformity with its stated records policy;
- demonstrate conformity with this document by:
* undertaking a self-assessment and self-declaration, or
* seeking confirmation of its self-declaration by a party external to the organization, or
* seeking certification of its MSR by an external party.