This document defines the conceptual framework and mechanisms for mapping information elements from Building Information Modelling (BIM) to Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to access the required information based on specific user requirements.
The conceptual framework for mapping BIM information to GIS is defined with the following three mapping mechanisms:
- BIM to GIS Perspective Definition (B2G PD);
- BIM to GIS Element Mapping (B2G EM);
- BIM to GIS LOD Mapping (B2G LM).
This document does not describe physical schema integration or mapping between BIM and GIS models because the physical schema integration or mapping between two heterogeneous models is very complex and can cause a variety of ambiguity problems. Developing a unified information model between BIM and GIS is a desirable goal, but it is out of the scope of this document.
The scope of this document includes the following:
- definition for BIM to GIS conceptual mapping requirement description;
- definition of BIM to GIS conceptual mapping framework and component;
- definition of mapping for export from one schema into another.
The following concepts are outside the scope:
- definition of any particular mapping application requirement and mechanism;
- bi-directional mapping method between BIM and GIS;
- definition of physical schema mapping between BIM and GIS;
- definition of coordinate system mapping between BIM and GIS.
NOTE For cases involving requirements related to Geo-referencing for providing the position and orientation of the BIM model based on GIS, there exist other standards such as ISO 19111 and the Information Delivery Manual (IDM) from buildingSMART on Geo-referencing BIM.
- definition of relationship mapping between BIM and GIS;
- implementation of the application schema.