This document defines the specific requirements for public electricity network distribution assemblies (PENDAs).
PENDAs have the following criteria:
– used for the distribution of electrical energy in three phase systems for which the rated voltage does not exceed 1 000 V AC (see Figure 101 for a typical distribution network) and
DC systems not exceeding 1 500 V DC;
– open type assemblies are not covered by this document;
– suitable for installation in places where only skilled persons have access for their use, however, outdoor types can be installed in situations that are accessible to ordinary persons
• intended for use in energy distribution in public power grids;
• indoor use: assemblies for installation inside of electric power substations;
• outdoor use: assemblies containing an enclosure suitable for open air installation.
The object of this document is to state the definitions and to specify the service conditions, construction requirements, technical characteristics and tests for PENDAs. Tests at higher
performance level can be applicable with some network parameters.
PENDAs can also include control and or signalling devices associated with the distribution of electrical energy.
NOTE 1 Control and monitoring devices can be used in smart grid applications or the transmission of smart grid data.
This document applies to all PENDAs whether they are designed, manufactured on a one-off basis or fully standardised and manufactured in quantity.
The manufacture and/or assembly can be carried out other than by the original manufacturer (see 3.10.1 of IEC 61439-1:2020).
This document does not apply to individual devices and self-contained components, such as motor starters, fuse switches, electronic equipment, etc. which comply with the relevant product standards.
If the substation is owned or operated by a public distribution system operator (DSO), PENDA’s
which are used as LV distribution panels in transformer substations are within the scope of this document,
This document does not apply to specific types of assemblies covered by other parts of IEC 61439 series.
Figure 101 – Typical distribution network
NOTE 2 If a PENDA is equipped with additional equipment (for example meters), in such a way that the main
function is changed considerably, then other standards can also apply as agreed between user and manufacturer (see 8.5 of IEC 61439-1:2020).
NOTE 3 Where local regulations and practices permit, a PENDA according to this document can be used in other
than public networks.
NOTE 4 DSO’s can define additional requirements for their PENDA’s.