IEC 61112:2009 is applicable to electrical insulating blankets for the protection of workers from accidental contact with live or earthed electrical conductors, apparatus or circuits and avoidance of short circuits on electrical installations. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition, published in 1992, and its Amendment 1 (2002). This edition constitutes a technical revision. It includes the following significant technical changes from the previous edition:
- general review of the requirements and test provisions;
- limitation of the scope in terms of the minimum width of electrical insulating blankets in rolls;
- preparation of the elements of evaluation of defects, and general application of IEC 61318 Ed.3;
- revision of existing annexes;
- deletion of Annexes D and F, not applicable according to IEC 61318 Ed.3;
- introduction of a new normative Annex F on classification of defects.