IEC 62793:2020(E) describes the characteristics of thunderstorm warning systems (TWSs) in order to implement lightning hazard preventive measures. Single sensors and/or a network of sensors (e.g. lightning location system) can be used as a TWS. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition, published in 2016. This edition constitutes a technical revision.
This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- portable devices are no longer covered by this standard;
- in Clause 5, classes of TWS have been deleted;
- in Clause 6, updated figures and more detailed text are provided to better illustrate the alarm timeline;
- in Clause 9, the text has been summarized and refers now to the application guide given in Annex F;
- annexes have been reorganized;
- Annex E is normative.