IEC 60294:2012 applies to cylindrical capacitors and resistors for use in electronic equipment. This standard gives methods for measurement of the body length and for checking the excessive protective coating extending onto the wire terminations of components with axial wire terminations. It further provides a method for checking the overall body diameter of cylindrical components with axial wire terminations. NOTE: A measuring method for components with unidirectional terminations is given in IEC 60717. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition, published in 1969, and constitutes a technical revision. The main technical changes with respect to the first edition are the following:
- employment of SI units only, causing deletion of all imperial dimensions,
- reduction of the tolerance on the chamfer depth in Figure 1 and Figure 2,
- elaboration of the method for coating material extending onto wire terminations,
- elaboration of the method for the overall body diameter, and
- introduction of requirements on information to be given in a relevant specification.