This document specifies a method for developing a texture profile of food products (solids, semi-solids, liquids) or non-food products (e.g. cosmetics).
This method is one approach to sensory texture profile analysis and other methods exist. This method describes various steps in the process of establishing a complete description of the textural attributes of a product.
This method is applicable to:
- screening and training assessors;
- orientating assessors through the development of definitions and evaluation techniques for textural characteristics;
- characterizing the textural attributes of a product in order to establish its standard profile and to discern any later changes;
- improving old products and developing new products;
- studying various factors that can affect the textural attributes of a product, e.g. changes in process, time, temperature, ingredients, packaging or shelf-life, and storage conditions;
- comparing a product with another similar product to determine the nature and intensity of textural differences;
- correlating sensory and instrumental and/or physical measurements.