1.1 Scope of prEN 1996-3
(1) The scope of EN 1996-1-1 applies also to this this document.
(2) This document provides simplified calculation methods to facilitate the design of the following unreinforced masonry walls, subject to certain conditions of application:
- walls subjected to vertical and wind loads;
- walls subjected to concentrated loads;
- shear walls;
- basement walls subjected to lateral earth pressure and vertical loads;
- walls subjected to lateral loads but not subjected to vertical loads.
NOTE For those types of masonry structures or parts of structures not covered by (2), the design can be based on EN 1996-1-1.
(3) The rules given in this document are consistent with those given in EN 1996-1-1, but are more conservative in respect of the conditions and limitations of their use.
(4) The rules given in this document assume that concrete floors are designed according to EN 1992-1-1.
(5) This document applies only to those masonry structures, or parts thereof, that are described in EN 1996-1-1 and EN 1996-2.
(6) The simplified calculation methods given in this document do not cover the design of double-leaf walls.
(7) The simplified calculation methods given in this document do not cover the design for accidental situations.
(1) The assumptions of EN 1990 apply to this document.